Ready to Finally Start a WordPress Blog?
When I first began making websites, I was mostly confused with the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. I kept seeing different landing pages, and I was able to enter both domains with different accounts. I was kicked out of one account with one set of name/password credentials, and then I was allowed into the wordpress.org.
Before you start a WordPress Blog, please don’t make the same mistakes that I did. Read up on both of these websites in this article, so you will understand which site does what.
WORDPRESS.COM VS. WORDPRESS.ORG
- wordpress.com – hosts your site for you, gives you a free domain name,
- wordpress.org – makes you find your own host, you have to set up and buy your own domain name.
Pros and Cons Free Domains
A domain is the name of your website such as
When you Start a WordPress Blog, your Domain can end in .org, .us, .net, etc. With a free Domain from www.wordpress.com, you will be stuck with the end of your website as .wordpress.com.
For example, if you want your website to be called “DentalSupplies&sons”, your free website with wordpress.com will end up as
Is there anything wrong with this to you? For someone just beginning to Start a WordPress Blog, and wanting to get their feet wet with blogging, this is a great way to start. There are no monthly fee’s, no subscription services, and no commitments to maintain your site.
Even though wordpress.com’s site is all free, you should ask yourself how committed you are to Start a WordPress Blog, and if you’re interested in monetizing your site.
If you are interested in using your website or blog to generate income, I definitely recommend that you purchase your own domain and hosting. Check out some reasons why below.
Things that you can not do with wordpress.com’s free version are:
- Change your theme
- Customize your domain name
- have a professional, unique domain name ending
Benefits of a domain include:
- Your own personal identity or brand
- makes you and your website, email look professional
- you get your name before your competitors do
What if you create a website for free, and then grow it organically using ads and sending friends there, but then someone decides to buy your domain name. There would be so many people looking for your website in the future, but they would end up on someone else’s domain.
With wordpress.com, you do also have the option of setting up paid hosting as well if you plan to get hosting in the future.
Check the Domain Name Availability Below
Before you begin to Start a WordPress Blog, make sure that the domain name that you do want is available. Use this free tool to check if the domain you want is available.
My youtube channel will be showing you step by step instructions on getting your site set up, and with
NO CODING REQUIRED
HOW TO SET UP A WORDPRESS.COM BLOG FOR FREE
Please watch the tutorials below and learn how to Start a WordPress Blog
Follow along to help you set up your FREE WORDPRESS account, set up your site, and write your first post.
Domain and Hosting Platforms I Recommend
Hostgator – They give you good help support, available 24/7, and give you access to WordPress with one-click.
RELATED WORDPRESS ARTICLES AND LINKS:
- Beginner WordPress Tutorials – Amazing troubleshooting resources for beginners, especially if you don’t want to learn to code. Recommends great plugins for just about everything
- Free WordPress Themes for your Blog – Free Themes available. Definitely a great place to check out before you start building your blog.
- Youtube Videos on setting up a Free WordPress Account – 3 part series on how to set up a free account and get started with WordPress